Saturday, August 11, 2007

Just a couple of things.

I just thought I'd write about a couple of films I saw recently that I really enjoyed. I have to say though, I wouldn't recommend either if you just wanna sit back, relax and enjoy.
The first was Pan's Labyrinth, or El Laberinto de Fauno as it's really called, I knew it was supposedly an adult's fairy tale but it was very different to how I imagined it. Firstly, it's very very graphic, gory and violent. I thought I was pretty much desensitised after watching Kill Bill and Battle Royale, but the scenes of gore were somehow much more real and although I could watch I certainly didn't find them pleasant.
It's also quite creepy. Not screamably (I made a word!) but The Pale Man was really freaky..
So anyway, I was expecting it to all be set in a weird and wonderful fantasy world but you're only taken there for maybe a total of half an hour in the whole film. It's actually set in some Spanish war (Don't ask me which one, I am le poopoo at history) in the 1940s and that's mostly what you see. If I had been told this beforehand, I never in a million years would have watched it but I actually found it gripping and loved the transition from it to Ophelia's fantasy world.
It was not the cheeriest of films but it left me with a lot of unanswered questions, and after browsing the IMDB boards, I've realised it's a pretty deep film. I think I'd give it 8.5/10.
Oh yeah, don't worry about the subtitles as you forget you're even watching a Spanish film after about 20 minutes. For me, having it in another language added to it absolutely.

Right, yes, so, next film

Requiem for a Dream. Saw it last night. Was completely blown away.
It left me staring at my laptop for a good 2 minutes, open mouthed, trying to sum up my feelings for what I'd just seen.
Thoroughly depressing. Engaging. Amazing.
The music, directing, camera work, acting and storyline were absolutely spot-on.
There were some very disturbing scenes but they were absolutely necessary to get the message of the film across.
I got completely sucked into the plot and began caring about the sorts of characters I never thought I would.
I'd give it 9/10, knocking off 1 because it did leave me feeling very very very very very depressed. But in a good way, if that makes any sense.

I know I've not said too much about the storylines of the two films...I just wanted to tell anyone reading how they affected me rather than what they're about...seems a better way to choose a film, to me.

Righto, that's all.
sigg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I visited your site…and I was very impressed!
Beautiful work…congratulations.
Take also a look at my website…thanks and kind regards.
www.silverdreamer.be

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Great blog you have here and enjoy reading it. Maybe you can upload more photos or videos for me as I'll be returning back here to read more.

Thanks!